Friday, September 26, 2008

Miss??

It has been a month since the closing of Beijing Olympics 2008. Recently, I met up with my coach, who had been to Beijing to witness the majestic event. As she recounts her experience in Beijing, I began to realize that differences do not occur only among different countries, but also within a country itself.


Having relatives in Southern part of China- Shenzhen and Guangzhou, I often travel there for visiting and shopping during school vacations. Whenever we needed assistance in a shop or restaurant, we have a habit of calling the salesgirl or waitress “美女(měi nǚ, meaning = beautiful girl) or “小姐 (xiáo jiě, meaning = Miss). I guess this goes the same for any situations in Singapore. In Guangzhou and Shenzhen, we needed to address them 美女”, in order to enjoy better and more efficient services. Sometimes, even when you address them 小姐”, you may not even get the same high quality service.


However, things seemed to be different in Beijing. According to my coach, when she was in a shop, she reached out to a salesgirl, calling her “小姐”. That salesgirl frowned upon hearing that, but quickly put on a professional smile when she approached my coach. What my coach didn’t know was that her way of addressing a salesgirl was rather offending to them. It was only when she was done with her purchase in the shop; the salesgirl approached her again and politely enlightened her of the way to address in Beijing. To the people in Beijing, 小姐” is used to address girls working as hostess in nightclubs. Calling a salesgirl or waitress 小姐” or “美女” is deemed as an insult to them. Hence, their job title is used when one needs to call for assistance, for example “” (diàn yuàn, meaning = salesperson), “” (shì yìng shēng, meaning = waiter or waitress) etc.


From the above incident, it can be seen that even within a country, there can have totally different cultural backgrounds, leading to different views and understanding towards the same issue or words used. If the salesgirl had not been understanding and professional enough, a conflict may have just occurred as a result.

10 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

This is very informative, Xiao Tong, because it shows the power of words and the effect of the nuance of dialect (in the sociolinguistic sense) in communication. I always like it when I learn something from students. I'm sure you're coach felt the same way after being enlightened by the salesgirl.

Huiling said...

Hey Xiao Tong, thanks for the enlightenment! I'm quite sure I will definitely refrain from calling the sales assistants in Beijing "小姐" in my future visits. However, like what you've said, culture differences not only occur among different countries, but also within a country itself. So in this case, how do we really differentiate the different people that we meet? For instance, if I were to shop in Shenzhen/Guangzhou, and I happen to address a sales person as "小姐", but little did I know that she's actually from Beijing, what should I do to refrain from making this mistake again?

Weili said...

That reminds me of the time I went Hong Kong. My friend was saying to get better service, I should call the service staff as "leng zai" for guys and "leng nu" for girls. It means pretty boy or pretty girl. In the end, I couldn't bring to say that so I just say "excuse me" instead.

Perhaps a more neutral term like "excuse me" is best suited for times where you can't be sure what is say. If someone can take offense to that, then well, start running.

Sharon said...

I didn't know about this. How to remember all this? Different places, different practices... looks like have to do some homework before going on holidays. May not always so lucky to meet understanding people.

Alvin Tay said...

Hey Xiao Tong, your post reminded me of what my tour guide told me when I went to Yun Nan, China. In Yun Nan, instead of calling them "美女", we called them "金花", golden flower. Calling them "小姐" would be an insult too.

Carolyn said...

When I went shopping in Beijing, basically I started the conversation with "请问" , "can I ask", then i paused a little to wait for reply. I guess this is neutral way of asking too. To address waitress, I use the word "服务员",server.

XiaoTong said...

Well, I guess like what Sharon had said, we may need to do some homework before we travel, so as to avoid any unwanted misunderstandings.

By the way, Huiling, I guess for Beijing people working in Shenzhou or Guangzhou, they would have used to and adapted to the culture there. So it should be alright for you to address them as "小姐".

Baoqing said...

This is a very interesting story. Personally, as a person from China, sometimes i also felt confused about how to address people. I guess a safer way is just to say "Ni Hao"(meaning hello) if you are not sure how to address that person in different places and cultural background. Besides, the term "小姐"can be used actually, depends on the manner you speak it out to that person.

:: Jiahao :: said...

Hello Xiao Tong,its really interesting to find out more about the different effects of dialects, even within china. I visited some parts of china while I was having my exchange in HK, and the points you have brought out is pretty relevant and accurate. It is quite similar to the different dialects we have in a multiracial society in singapore.

Miko said...

Hi Xiao Tong! This is such an educational post! Haha. I feel educated. Like the rest, i've encountered the different ways of addressing the sales personnel and have them addressing me by their ways in places like Hongkong & Shenzhen. Like in Hongkong, just like what weili has pointed out, i kind of feel flattered when they call me "leng loi" (means pretty girl) and had the urge to buy from them because of that. Haha! But when it comes to me myself calling them by that, i can't do it. Feels kind of weird. Its pretty amazing to note the existence of subcultures in a country despite a common race (i.e Chinese). The difference in accents, greetings and values in essence separates people of the same race into their unique identity.